Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Style




The "Stylized Character" tutorial was definitely a big hit with me, it was so fun! When I use markers to draw, I usually draw more abstract things, with a lot of intricate detailing, but nothing, usually, that looks realistic. But with this, it was like practice using markers (with much more freedom) on realistic drawings. It was very fun to play with the way different colors worked with one another, and it was really interesting to see the way that the purple and the magenta in the tutorial blended like I really was using markers. I liked the challenge of trying to use the white of the background for some highlights, instead of erasing or painting over with white, it was more difficult, but I think it made for more realistic highlights. In the tutorial, my least favorite part was painting the feathers, it really irked me when they didn't turn out as perfect curves; Photoshop paint may be more forgiving than markers, but I think theres a certain precision that cannot be obtained through the computer. I was very proud of my picture! It was much simpler than the tutorial picture, but that's not because I was lazy! It was supposed to be a stylized drawing, and my style just isn't that...ostentatious. I prefer to focus on colors that work well together, instead of embellishments. One thing that I would have liked to try, and maybe I'll try on my final or another project, is making a pattern with paint, instead of just using a solid color on the dress. Overall though, I'm extremely happy with this project, and I even practiced drawing stylized people like this with the new markers I got for my birthday!

1 comment:

mrs. banks villalobos said...

i would love to see one of your marker drawings. i've never known a marker artist.

both of these drawings are stunning. having not completed this tutorial myself, i did not realize that those highlights were not put in after the color. but looking more closely at it, i think i agree that it adds something. those little squiggle highlights are so cute and energetic!

in your original piece, i really like the shadow beneath her hairline along her face; it adds so much depth and structure to her hair.

one thing i would like from the flapper picture that i feel is missing is some broad highlights and lowlights on the dress, similar to what you did on her right arm. i think it would do a lot to make the drawing look truly 3-d.